Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spring is springing...



The community garden is growing. All plots currently available are taken. And everything we planted in our plot is growing, including the eggplants, which waited a while to peek their sprouts through the soil. Keith reports that we actually have one tiny tomato and one tiny pepper already. I'm still amazed by the miracle of seeds sprouting and becoming.






Lucas is growing, too. Here he is in the Monroe church sanctuary, almost as tall as the pews. In a few years, we'll look back on this and think, "Was he ever that small?" I know this, because right now I'm looking at him thinking, "How did he get so big?" He is changing so quickly, getting new ideas every day about the world and trying them out. Lately he's been big on hats and ballcaps. He taps his head and points at the hats, hanging on the coathook, and we all put them on. Then we take them off, and hang them up, and the cycle begins again. If you see me, and I have hat-hair, now you know why.



We've been interns at the church for about eight months, and as we've been tinkering, trying out programs for young adults and families, we've been growing, too. It's hard to know how successful we've been at facilitating growth for the church, but certainly we've had lots of opportunities to experiment with our ideas about what might inspire people to deepen in their relationships to God and to each other.



I must admit that I'm impatient for results in all these kinds of growth. I'm impatient for the tomatoes to ripen. I'm impatient for Lucas to be able to talk in sentences and play more organized games with me. I'm impatient for the Young Adult ministry at this church to take off in numbers and enthusiasm.



But so much of growth is hidden. It's hard to see that it's happening until it's happened. And then the happening catches me by surprise. I pray to trust God in these hidden times of growth. I pray for help recognizing growth when it happens.




Here is a prayer from J. Philip Newell, from Celtic Treasure:



The earth is full of your goodness, O God.

It sprouts green and grows into the roundness of fruit.

Its touch and its taste enliven our souls.

Let us know the seeds of life's goodness within us and between us.

And let us handle its gifts with wonder.



2 comments:

  1. Laura-Looking at the photo of Lucas in the wheelbarrel reminded me of your wedding when Keith wheeled you around in one. It's interesting your Prayer here---just today I picked a passage from Jeremiah 17: 7-8 that had to with our Trust in God being like a tree planted in water --rooted deep and even in drought staying green. The imagery of nature giving us such hope and helping us know where our strength comes from. During this transition tmie for you --you, Keith, Lucas, and Bill Dog are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this prayer and your descriptions of dealing with and waiting for growth. Just today I looked up a passage from Jeremiah 17: 7-8 --which said our trust in God is like a tree planted in water,rooted deep, not being axious during the drought and never ceasing to bear fruit. I loved connecting the imagery with nature to our trust in God. Anyways--I hope that you all are able to find peace during the chaos of transition and the wonderful chaos of parenting--Love you --us

    ReplyDelete